DD YESAA and Related Documents
Chapter 12 of the Yukon First Nations Final Agreements called for the establishment by federal legislation of an assessment process that would apply to all lands within Yukon: federal, territorial, First Nation and private. The Yukon Environmental and Socio-economic Assessment Act (YESAA) was given Parliamentary Royal Assent on May 13, 2003. The federal legislation outlines the assessment process for Yukon.
The Assessable Activities, Exceptions and Executive Committee Projects Regulations contain two schedules which set out the activities that are and are not subject to assessment under YESAA. The third schedule sets out whether a project should be submitted for an Executive Committee screening. The Decision Body Time Periods and Consultation Regulations outline the time periods and consultation process among Decision Bodies.
- Assessable Activities, Exceptions and Executive Committee Projects Regulations
- Decision Body Time Periods and Consultation Regulations
Pursuant to its authority under YESAA, the Yukon Environmental and Socio-economic Assessment Board has made the Rules for Evaluations Conducted by Designated Offices and the Rules for Screenings Conducted by the Executive Committee. These Rules provide the framework for conducting assessments.
- Rules for Evaluations Conducted by Designated Offices
- Rules for Screenings Conducted by the Executive Committee – Consolidation June 1, 2022
- Rules for Screenings Conducted by the Executive Committee – 2005 to May 31, 2022 – Note: the 2005 Rules were amended in June 2022; these 2005 Rules only apply to proposals that were submitted prior to June 1, 2022)
- Rules for Reviews Conducted by Panels of the YESAB
Assessment Flow Charts
These flowcharts outline the stages for the Designated Office evaluation, Executive Committee screening and the Board Panel Review process. For details and timelines please refer to the applicable Rules.
- Designated Office evaluation process- Flowchart
- Executive Committee screening process – Flowchart
- Panel of the Board review process – Flowchart
Disclaimer: This information in the flowcharts is not intended to provide legal advice or direction, it is for information purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for the Act or associated regulations and rules. In the event of a discrepancy, the Act, regulations and rules prevail. Portions have been paraphrased or generalized and should not be relied upon for legal purposes.